this morning our annual now now festival preview, the festival celebrating all forms of exploratory music expression with one of the festival organisers improvising double bassist Mike Majkowski.Welcome back to background noise Mike.We will be interspersing music by festival artists with probing questins about the festival.
Music played: various tracks from the 2011 now now festival preview CD
this morning 2010 in review in music and the arts, as well as the annual list of those who have left us in the arts but will not be forgotten.
CDs in release order.Lists are not definitive,only what I encountered.Promos from some of our special guests throughout the the year.
Lists 1 films and DVDs
Mike Majkowski promo track one
Artist, Title, Label, Track Number, Duration
1.,Height/Dismay, mother’s footsteps(never released?) Ascension,cd3-12, 1981?3’12”
,Ya Ya Choral, “No Control”, cd4,3 (2’.16”),prev. unreleased
, Terrace Industry (M squared history 1980 – 83),
2, Mike Majkowski first solo CD Ink on paper, 2, foam and straw,3′ 12″
3, German experimental rock and electronic music from 1972 to 19839,Conrad Schnitzler,Auf Dem Schwarzen Canal,soul jazz, 9,1980,3’12”X
4. experimental soundtracks of Arthur and Corinne Cantrill from 1963 to 2009, chromatic mysteries, shame file music CD , 2,Petunias,1996,3′ 50″
Liz Parkinson promo track two
Lists 2 television
5. Henry Jacobs,Around the world with Henry Jacobs,Important Records, 17, get a tape recorder,0′ 21″,18, donutty world,1′ 30″,19, secret of the sounds,0′ 54″
6. a cloakroom assembly,Territory+Population,Endgame Records, 3,Beltane Jzzzz,4’51” (Michael tee promo track 12)
7. People like Us from the UK and Wobbly from the USA, Music for the Fire, UK label illegal Art, 15, Bad News,3’33”
Geoffrey Barnard promo track three
Lists 3 exhibitions and books
8. Cosey Fanni Tutti (from Throbbing Gristle) and French sound artist Philippe Petite-7” picture disc,Side A — mist while sleeping,dirter productions,4’30” approx.
9. Artefacts of Australian Experimental Music volume 2 1974 – 1983 on shame file music, CD 1, 12, Ian Hartley Sydney, unreleased, Train Je Taime, 1981,3′ 53″
10. Scattered order, adjust the terminology, rather be vinyl/klanggallarie, 5, oil and plank,4′ 01″,
Clinton Green promo track four
Lists 4 performances/events
11. Chris Abrahams (solo CD), Play Scar on the room 40 , jelly crown,6′ 35″
12. PÍVIXKI (anthony pateras and max kohane) , Gravissima,4, a shrewd manipulation of the facts,3′ 34″
13.various, anthology of noise and electronic music sixth a chronology, sub rosa,8, Tzvi Avni,vocalise,5’21”X
Anthony pateras promo
radio-Johnn Cage month on background noise with Geoffrey Barnard who gave so much of himself,Sydney Shuffle-Lou Reed/Hal Wilner
Things to look out for in 2011-Boardwalk Empire American TV seriesCome fly with me british comedy series
A few things which I omitted from the 2010 review program. The beautiful performance night at megaphon studios for the launch of the first CD by A Cloakroom Assembly with Shane Fahey,A Slow Rip,A Cloakroom Assembly,Pimmon and Gail Priest
, The Gail Priest CD fear of Stranglers and the book of 100 greatest loony tunes cartoons edited by Jerry Beck.
Next Program 2011 now now festival preview with Mike Majkowski
this morning the anthology noise and electronic music sixth a chronology. Another outstanding collection of challenging sounds from around the world on the sub rosa label from Belgium. This will be the second last in the intended series of seven. They have all been absolutely outstanding compilations, beautifully packaged and with comprehensive notes. Covering the years 1957 to 2010. Many of the anthologies have been in the top five compilations of the year in the wire review of the year and several have been number one.
track, artist, country, title, year, duration
1,3,5,6, 11, 12
1, Israel Martinez, composer and sound artist from Mexico, Mi Vida, 2007,6′ 59″
3, Joseph Nechvatal, sound artist born in Germany lives and works between Tehran and San Francisco, Ego Masher, 1983,7′ 05″
5, Henry Cowell, USA, pioneering musical avant-gardist, The Banshee, 1925/1957,2′ 23″
6, Dick Raaymakers, Holland, Pioneer of electronic and tape music, Piano Forte, 1959/1960,4′ 55″
12, Torturing Nurse, Shanghai, Yes or No (heavily influenced by Japanese noise, 2010,4′ 49″
1,z’ev, composer, performer and percussionist, originally from Los Angeles lives and works in London and Los Angeles, 12 November 1980,Melkweg Amsterdam-prev. unrel.,7’33”
4,the pain barrier,Leipzig Germany,The Pain Barrier Virus, 2003, 5’33”
8, Tzvi Avni, composer, born in Germany lives and works in Tel Aviv Israel, vocalise, 1964, realised at the Columbia Princeton Electronic music centre and Tel Aviv, 5′ 21″?
9, Else Marie Pade composer, Denmark lives and works in Copenhagen, Syv Cirkler (seven circles) the first electronic music piece to be performed in Denmark in 1959 created in 1958, 7′ 06″
10, John Duncan artist, composer and performer, originally from Kansas lives in Bulgaria and Italy, the Nazca Transmission #2 (electronic manipulation of environmental sounds), 2005,8′ 13″